Cameron Douglas MW
Flavours of May
Grace, one of our resident foodies and ex-chef, has put together some excellent recipes for you to enjoy over the coming weeks as the weather heats up. Using the freshest ingredients available and pairing your delicious food with some of our Summer wines, we can tell you will have a May to remember.
British asparagus is now in season!
We must make the most of the short harvest time which only lasts around 6 weeks, from 1 May to the 20 June. Nothing beats the taste of fresh, British asparagus and here in Kent we are very lucky to grow some of the finest in the UK.
This wonderful vegetable is not only delicious, but it’s very good for you too! Asparagus is rich in nutrients, is a good source of potassium and is packed with vitamins and folic acid.
But the thing we love most about asparagus is its versatility. Why not try this 'delicacy of the vegetable world' simply steamed then coated with melted, salted butter? Or perhaps with a splash of olive oil, a sprinkling of sea salt and then oven roasted, served topped with some sharp, crumbled goat’s cheese?
Or our favourite, griddled (or barbecued!) and drizzled with an olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette, with shavings of parmesan…
- Asparagus should be firm to the touch; the tips should be tightly closed and should have a dark green or purple colour.
- When preparing, gently bend the asparagus spear and it will snap - throw the woody end away.
- Thinner asparagus stems will be more tender, whereas the thicker ones will have more flavour.
- Store asparagus in the fridge, either wrapped in a damp cloth or in a jug of cold water.
Asparagus Risotto (Serves 2)
Pair this recipe with Joseph Mellot Pouilly Fumé Cuvée des Edvins Cuvée Prestige 2013 or Sancerre Blanc Daniel Chotard 2014.
- 1 small onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 400g asparagus (Keep a few spears to shave for serving)
- 1 tablespoon of good quality olive oil (Plus extra for drizzling)
- 200g Arborio risotto rice
- 1 glass of white wine 125ml
- 1-1.5 litres of warm chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lemon (Juice and zest)
- Pecorino cheese shavings
- Salt and Pepper
Wild Sea Trout, Asparagus and Jersey Royal Niçoise. (Serves 2)
Pair this recipe with our Les Héritiers du Comte Lafon Mâcon Uchizy Les Maranches 2011.
Wild Sea Trout, Jersey Royals and Asparagus - All these are in season right now, so take full advantage!
- 200g Jersey Royals
- 10 spears of asparagus
- 2 Free range eggs
- 2 fillets of Wild Sea Trout
- Oil for frying
- A few black olives
- 1 Baby gem lettuce
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- For the Vinaigrette:
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon Mustard
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
With the sunny weather just around the corner, make sure you are prepared for your summer barbecues with this sensational selection of wines to help quench your thirst.
New and Exclusive to
"scents of green apple intermingling with lime and granitic scents."
95 - James Halliday
Margaret River Wine Show 2017: Gold Medal
Perth Royal Wines Awards 2017
"utterly electrifying and simply one of the greatest rosés available today."
Exuberantly aromatic with a distinct Kumeu nose.