Château Kirwan is situated in the Margaux appellation of Bordeaux, on one of the highest points in Margaux and is classified as one of the one of fourteen Troisièmes Crus (Third Growths). The château was bought in 1910 by by Sir John Collingwood a well-known British négociant of the Bordeaux wine trade. The name ‘Kirwan’ come from his Irish son-in-law, Mark Kirwan. By 1904 the property had fallen into disrepair and was sold at auction, only to be snapped up by Schroeder & Schyler (another team of négociants) who continue managing the small, 35 hectare estate today. The vineyard of Chateau Kirwan is planted to 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 10% Petit Verdot. In 1993, the property began producing a second wine, Les Charmes de Kirwan.