Château Langoa Barton is one of the thirteen Third Growths and is located in the Saint-Julien commune of the Medoc region. In 1821, the château was bought by Irishman Hugh Barton (who had a long and distinguished history in the Bordeaux wine trade) and since then it has remained in the family. In 1983, it was taken over by Anthony Barton and today is run by his daughter Lillian. Shortly after buying Château Langoa-Barton, Hugh Barton also took over Château Leoville Barton. In fact, Château Langoa-Barton and its sibling share wine making facilities, including the traditional wood fermenting vats and similar varietal mixes. Château Langoa-Barton even shares it cellar, but it is down to the terroir and sun exposure that makes these two wines taste so different. Langoa Barton has around 20 hectares of vineyards made up of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Petit Verdot which lie on gravelly-clay soils, typical of the region.